Making the world a better place, one show at a time.

My photo
Washington, DC, United States
I guess you would like to know a little bit about the person making all these proclamations upon good taste and horrid characters. I'm Andrea and when I was 15 I fell in love. An hour after meeting "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" I was forever altered in the way only love can, and I never questioned for one minute afterwards that television offered me an amazing chance to experience lives and moments that I could never imagine. So now, when I'm not getting distracted by my real life, I write about TV. I also read, am finishing a Master's degree in English Literature, travel, am attempting to learn vegan cooking, am the 5th of 6 children, and drive my roommate nuts by constantly cleaning our already clean apartment. Now that we're old friends, time for you to take my opinions as the be all and end all.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Supernatural (7.5/8): Criss Angel is a Douche Bag…Didn’t Everyone Already Know That?

SAM WINCHESTER WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?

The saddest thing is to see someone do the wrong thing for what he or she think is the right reason. We have been through this before: deals with demons to bring people back from the dead; using Reapers to smite the “wicked;” bumbling into witchcraft to get a lower mortgage rate. But I cannot help but think that Sam giving into Ruby and using his “powers” to go after Lilith because he doesn’t want to be hunter when he’s old is possibly THE STUPIDEST THING HE HAS EVER DONE.

Sorry for being so strident, but I didn’t really realize when the episode was happening just how strongly I oppose his decision. Part of the not realizing was that, obviously, the episode had so little to do with Sam and Dean. And I am okay with that. As my indignation at Sam has grown over the last few days so has my appreciation of Thursday’s episode.

Those of us in fairly mainstream society easily derided both magic and magicians: I wouldn’t break for Criss Angel, I will be upfront about that. And that is what makes it such a wonderful trope to contemplate the difficulties of old age. It would be easy to say that Jay has sold his soul and murdered others for nothing: why would it matter if a bunch of dudes doing parlor tricks get back their youthful form? This is what you do with immortality? But of course, we are supposed to wonder if the difficulties of aging, the loss of what you once had, is only as meaningful as that which you did with your youth? As cheesy as “magic” may or may not be, it was what Charlie loved, what united him with his dearest friends, and his despair is not any more or less important than Sam’s, even though objectively Sam’s life has been more stressful and necessary than Charlie’s.

And yes, I am saying that following the plan of demon is despair. Especially considering Dean’s incredibly valid point that people in their profession do not have a terribly long life expectancy. I hope we all realize that the moment Sam got in that car with Ruby is most likely the moment that will divide Sam and Dean, possibly irrevocably.

Not to be a downer or anything.

The TV Girl

No comments: