Making the world a better place, one show at a time.

My photo
Washington, DC, United States
I guess you would like to know a little bit about the person making all these proclamations upon good taste and horrid characters. I'm Andrea and when I was 15 I fell in love. An hour after meeting "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" I was forever altered in the way only love can, and I never questioned for one minute afterwards that television offered me an amazing chance to experience lives and moments that I could never imagine. So now, when I'm not getting distracted by my real life, I write about TV. I also read, am finishing a Master's degree in English Literature, travel, am attempting to learn vegan cooking, am the 5th of 6 children, and drive my roommate nuts by constantly cleaning our already clean apartment. Now that we're old friends, time for you to take my opinions as the be all and end all.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Greek (6.5): You Have Got To Be Kidding Me!

Thought it could possibly cause the downfall of the free world, Evan and Frannie are two peas in a rancid pod. These two scheming egomaniacs deserve each other. How dare Evan pay Shane to stay away from Casey! Not that I want Casey anywhere near a guy who would accept money rather than spend time with her (or who once made a living portraying a Power Ranger), so I will be perfectly content to never see Shane again. Nevertheless, I cannot express how much I loathe Evan. It is despicable to go through the world solving your problems by throwing money at them; he dumped Casey and she is obviously better off without him since he is the kind of person that treats money and good judgment as interchangeable. Paying Shane off is especially snake-like because Casey was being nice and kind, not ambitious and compromising like she can be sometimes. Doesn’t Evan realize that by taking advice from Frannie he is acting in a way she would approve of, therefore is acting more like her, and she has not proven herself to be entirely trustworthy. The two of them just need to go off and have rich, evil babies somewhere else and leave Casey alone.

So that when Cappie and Rebecca implode, Casey will be able to be with the right guy. Okay, okay, I should be a bit kinder, since Cappie is bringing out the better side of Rebecca. The better side of her is still bratty. She apologized to Rusty for treating him badly, but she should have apologized specifically for her snipe about Jen K. Since, according to Frannie, Rebecca never had any intention of fulfilling the terms of the bet if she lost (she would have hired a maid service to clean the fraternity bathroom), her desire to win that caused so much misery (Beaver couldn’t even lift his beer, sad) and humiliation (it was cruel to make Rusty schedule her bikini wax) was only motivated by need to beat Casey. I think Casey-based insecurity will eventually get the better of the Cappie/Rebecca relationship, but maybe due to Cappie’s guidance she will be a better, it nor more pleasant, person when it all ends.

Calvin demonstrated that sometimes we are our own worst enemies in relationships. I respect his stance that just because he is gay that homosexuality should not be a necessary element in all of his choices (does being gay require you to go to GLBT film festivals?), but he is more likely to be happy in the long run since he recognized that he was the only one uncomfortable with Michael sending him flowers (and those were nice flowers by the way). I think Calvin's storyline, especially this possible new relationship with Michael, explores respectfully the idea that self-acceptance is more than identifying your sexual preference.

On a tangential matter, again I am confronted with the “Bro Code,” except here it is called the “Guy Code” but I am fairly sure it amounts to the same thing. On How I Met Your Mother, when the Bro Code was violated bro-ness ended, but here when Rusty violated the Guy Code by telling Cappie what a shrew Rebecca was being (I refuse to say “had turned into”), Cappie used the opportunity to overturn the Guy Code. Interesting.

I am a total English major dork, so I kind of squealed in joy when Cappie/Rusty started reciting “Troilus and Cressida,” the Shakespeare play that no one reads. Their plan to teach Rebecca a lesson by throwing the talent portion of the pageant went from necessary to hilarious by virtue of obscurity points. Thank you writers for not being lame and picking one of the plays everyone knows. But how could I not expect the unexpected from (/for) Cappie?

Shout Outs: Little Things To Know That Make Watching Better
To the TV savvy the two guest characters in this episode were known faces. Max Greenfield, formerly of Veronica Mars and Ugly Betty, played Michael and Michael Copon, once a Power Ranger and Felix on One Tree Hill (which I also watched last night), gave an (un)riveting performance as Shane. (I really kind of do not like this dude. He is Melba toast-ish.)

The TV Girl

No comments: