Making the world a better place, one show at a time.

My photo
Washington, DC, United States
I guess you would like to know a little bit about the person making all these proclamations upon good taste and horrid characters. I'm Andrea and when I was 15 I fell in love. An hour after meeting "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" I was forever altered in the way only love can, and I never questioned for one minute afterwards that television offered me an amazing chance to experience lives and moments that I could never imagine. So now, when I'm not getting distracted by my real life, I write about TV. I also read, am finishing a Master's degree in English Literature, travel, am attempting to learn vegan cooking, am the 5th of 6 children, and drive my roommate nuts by constantly cleaning our already clean apartment. Now that we're old friends, time for you to take my opinions as the be all and end all.

Friday, April 4, 2008

Battlestar Galactica: Bill and Laura

The big day is finally here, and I still have so much to say, but I am accepting that I will never be able to say it all.

One of the accomplishments of Battlestar Galactica is the portrayal of how a respectful relationship is formed. In the beginning Bill Adama and Laura Roslin could not have been more different (they still are different) and they could not have been more at odds. Her more humanitarian mindset did not mesh well with his military training. The basis of their relationship was necessity; in order for humanity to survive, the civilian fleet need needed protection. Through acts of trust and mutual forgiveness Bill and Laura have not only come to admire each other, they have come to love each other. I mean love in more than the romantic sense (and I see that plain as day between these two). I mean love in the sense of genuine friendship, the kind of friendship that is necessary for society to continue. They see the strengths and weaknesses of each other, and over time have learned when to give and when to take in order to achieve the best results.

Over time is the key. Between them there have been mistakes, disagreements, disappointments, and messes to clean up. She once incited mutiny for which he put her in prison. He defied a direct order from her to execute Cain. She stole and hid Hera without telling him so that he would not have to lie about it. He refused to prosecute Helo when he disabled the biological weapon, even though she was irate enough to want it. They have opposite view points on the verdict of Baltar’s trial. Through each encounter and the consequences thereof they learn they know each other more and forge a stronger friendship.

Bill and Laura are, professionally, at the highest level: the President and the Admiral. From that point the serve as leaders for humanity, but it is their private friendship that serves as an example of conduct for those they lead.

It took until Baltar became President for me to get to the view I express here. For a season and a half I would clench my teeth every time Roslin spoke. She verged on a bit too bleeding heart for me, but she was such a pain in the ass at the same time. Seeing her cry over Billy’s body (through my own tears) was not what changed my mind about her, but it opened the door.

I am thinking that the cancer getting her this time might be the right ending for her: a way to free her of her responsibilities without betraying her character. But I also think that she is the last Cylon.

The TV Girl

No comments: