Making the world a better place, one show at a time.

My photo
Washington, DC, United States
I guess you would like to know a little bit about the person making all these proclamations upon good taste and horrid characters. I'm Andrea and when I was 15 I fell in love. An hour after meeting "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" I was forever altered in the way only love can, and I never questioned for one minute afterwards that television offered me an amazing chance to experience lives and moments that I could never imagine. So now, when I'm not getting distracted by my real life, I write about TV. I also read, am finishing a Master's degree in English Literature, travel, am attempting to learn vegan cooking, am the 5th of 6 children, and drive my roommate nuts by constantly cleaning our already clean apartment. Now that we're old friends, time for you to take my opinions as the be all and end all.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Gossip Girl: And You Thought It Was Bad That I Watch The Hills.

At least Gossip Girl admits that it is scripted. My deep and abiding love for The O.C. combined with my deep and abiding love for Kristen Bell was enough for me to try GG and within an episode I was hooked. I am super pumped for the return of new episodes on Monday (despite the scheduling conflict it creates), so I thought I would jot down a few notes on the major characters, just to let you know where I stand.

Chuck and Blair Forever!
He is a snake (but may have a heart) and she is a self-righteous ice-queen (who always gets the fuzzy end of the lollipop), but I am not advocating their coupledom because “they are both so awful they deserve each other.” No, no, no. We always talk about chemistry, how it can make or break a show/couple, and they have chemistry in spades. Their first kiss was so hot it gave me chills. Oh, and she has the whole respectability thing that could guide him towards a purposeful existence and he has the passion that could allow her to actually enjoy her life. Chuck and Blair are the dark horse couple that could easily become the center of the show.

Nate and Serena cannot be done.
Don’t get me wrong, I really like Dan and I really like Dan and Serena, but the Nate issue was just dismissed too quickly for my taste. They seem to have been friends before they slept together, and he obviously still has feelings for her, so I do not accept that she just dates someone new without any reservations. There are rumors that Nate is getting a new love-interest and that is someone we have already met, so that means it is most likely either Jenny or Vanessa. Either will make Dan quite uncomfortable (his sister or his best friend) so I look forward to the drama.

Rufus and Lily belong together.
Yes, this will be awkward for their children who are currently dating (Dan and Serena) and their children who might end up dating (Jenny and Eric), especially if there has been breaking-up involved, but the fact of the matter is that these to rents are soul mates.

Kristen Bell’s narration is fantastic.
Miss Bell does the voice-over narration of the unknown “Gossip Girl” who has all the dirt and spreads all the stories about this clan of privileged friends, enemies, and lovers. And her voice work is wonderful. Her tone is snarky and ironic, but never veers into cynical.

Gossip Girl does not quite have the heart that The O.C. does, at least not in the same way. But I am hopelessly addicted.

The TV Girl

2 comments:

Kay Pea said...

Is Rufus the guy from Band of Brothers? he looks like the same guy and he's cute. Kelly Rutherford is scary. Not matter what.

The TV Girl said...

I know I am a bad person for saying this, but I have never seen Band of Brothers (there is a reason, but its a personal story) but according to IMBd he was in that. And I agree, he is cute.

Are you really dissing on Kelly Rutherford?!?! Of all the Melrose Place alums she is the one you pick on and call scary. Your insane.